It's no secret that one of the biggest events in gaming happened just over a week ago, in Indianapolis. Yes, we are of course referring to Gencon. Mayfair Games, one of the world's top publishers, and gatekeepers of the Catan franchise, had HUGE plans for the con this year. How huge? Well, let's find out...
Mayfair set out to make the Guinness Book of World Records by hosting the world's largest group of people playing a single game of Settlers of Catan. And set the record they did! 922 Settlers fans sat down to roll the dice and trade resources on the
Island CONTINENT of Catan. Setting an Official Guinness World Record.
With so many game events going on at Gencon, you may have been playing in this event and not even realized it. So we've compiled a list to help you determine if you're a part of gaming history
10 Signs You’re Playing in a Guinness World Record Breaking, 922-player, Settlers Of Catan Game.
10. You have 2.5 hours between turns to use the bathroom.
9. You have to keep track of which of the 153 subtle shades of blue you are. “You’re Cambridge blue, not Carolina blue! Sheesh!”
8. GenCon has been over for a week and you’re still on turn 2.
7. The Longest Road is 4.2 actual miles long.
6. There’s a 1 in 922 chance of the robber hitting you, and it still happens three turns in a row...
5. The 75-pound accountant in the Wolverine costume keeps screwing up the board with his homemade, aluminum-foil claws.
4. You were the last to place your first settlement and the only hex left was in Gary, Indiana.
3. Someone finally snaps, jumps onto the table, rips off his shirt, yells “I am the king of Catan!!” and passes out.
2. You find out that guy was Klaus Teuber.
1. 3,723 “Wood for sheep” jokes!
Congratulations to Mayfair, and thanks for reading!
Stay tuned this week as we bring you all sorts of other fun stuff from around the gaming world! And don't forget to check us out on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube!
How would you handle playing a game with nearly one thousand people? Leave it in the comments!