I can't believe it's already been a year since the last batch of nominees was announced. If you're unfamiliar, the Spiel des Jahres is the German Game of the Year award. When a game wins the award, it practically guarantees big sales for years to come.
They've also announced the Kennerspiel des Jahres nominees, which are vying for the "gamer's game" of the year.
And, finally, they've announced the Kinderspiel des Jahres nominees--kid's game of the year.
Let's get to the announcement!
Spiel des Jahres (Game of the Year)
- Codenames, designed by Vlaada Chvatil, and published by Czech Games.
- Imhotep, designed by Phil Walker-Harding, and published by KOSMOS.
- Karuba, designed by Rudiger Dorn, and published by HABA.
Of these, I've only played Codenames, but I consider it an instant classic game. It was my runner-up for Game of the Year last year.
Kennerspiel des Jahres (Gamer's Game of the Year)
- Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, designed by Matt Leacock and Rob Daviau, and published by Z-Man Games.
- T.I.M.E. Stories, designed by Manuel Rozoy, and published by Space Cowboys.
- Isle of Sky: From Chieftain to King, designed by Andreas Pelikan and Alexander Pfister, and published by Lookout Games.
I've played and enjoyed both Pandemic and T.I.M.E. Stories. Pandemic was my Game of the Year last year, so I would love to see that one win.
Kinderspiel des Jahres (Children's Game of the Year)
- Leo muss zum Friseur, designed by Leo Colovini, and published by ABACUSSPIEL.
- Mmm!, designed by Reiner Knizia, and published by Pegasus Spiele.
- Stone Age Junior, designed by Marco Teubner, and published by Hans im Gluck.
Not surprisingly, I haven't played any of these nominees.
So what are your thoughts on these nominees? Which do you think will win? Let us know in the comments! And thanks for reading!