It's a big day in the board game world: The announcements for gaming's biggest awards. A Spiel des Jahres win means big bucks for a publisher, and accolades for the designer. So here are the 2014 nominations.
Spiel des Jahres
- Camel Up, designed by Steffan Bogan, published by Eggertspiele/Pegasus Spiele.
- Splendor, designed by Marc Andre, published by Space Cowboys
- Concept, designed by Gaetan Beaujannot and Alain Rivollet, published by Repos Production.
I (Firestone) have played Concept, and it's TERRIFIC. But I don't really like it as a game so much as a fun intellectual exercise. Either way, this is a good choice, IMO. Can't comment on the others.
Kennerspiel des Jahres
- Concordia, designed by Mac Gerdts, published by PD Verlag.
- Istanbul, designed by Rudiger Dorn, published by Pegasus Spiele.
- Rococo, designed by Matthias Cramer, Louis Malz, and Stefan Malz; published by Eggertspiele/Pegasus Spiele.
Though Dorn and Gerdts are two of my favorite designers, I haven't played any of these yet.
Kinderspiel des Jahres
Flizz & Miez, designed by Klemens Franz, Hanno Girke, and Dale Yu, published by Carrera.
Geister, Geister, Schatzsuchmeister, designed by Brian Yu, publsihed by Mattel.
Richard Ritterschlag, designed by Johannes Zirm, published by HABA.
Another batch of games I haven't played.
So what are your thoughts. Games you would add? Games that are missing? Sound off!